At ZIMBRAMAILBOX we are doing our best to protect you from Malware and Viruses that are finding there way to mailboxes all over the world. However without our users doing due diligence all this efforts will go unanswered and there is possibility of mailboxes being hacked or compromised
Understanding threats and being able to at very l;east follow best practices is extremely important to keep your Mailbox safe and secured.
Viruses and Malware
When using ZIMBRAMAILBOX all your email is being scanned by our Virus and Spam gateways. However, this scanners cannot prevent all malicious email, and some malicious threats come from the internet.
Types of threats
- Trojan horses
Besides using unique, strong passwords here are some of the most important things you can do to protect yourself from malicious email.
- Always keep your computer’s anti-virus software and browser software up-to-date
- Do not Open an email from an unknown address
- Do not Click a link in an email unless you expected someone to send it.
- Do not Open an attachment unless you were expecting it or it was from an unquestionably trusted source.
We can not stress this enough how important it is to follow this very basic rules. Being alert and following best practices could make a huge difference. Malware prays on weak users who do not pay attention to details.
Here are some examples of malicious emails that you most likely will encounter when using your mailbox:
1. Spoofs: Spoofing is very easy to do. Example of spoofing would be your receiving email from one of your friends or colleges but it is not actually coming from them. In most cases attacker would spoof from field so email appears like its coming from trusted source.
2. Hacks: An example of a hack would be when one of users in your address book gets hacked and you receive emails from him/her for donation or something very similar.
Other best practices
- Be careful and selective about what you download to your computer from the internet.
- Read licensing agreements carefully.
- Do not click on internet ads.
- Do not open or accept suspicious error messages in your browser.
- Do not click on IM links from users you do not know or if they are otherwise suspicious.
Doing any of the above actions can result in software downloads to your computer, and these downloads are often malicious